Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Alcoholism - Alcohol = Alcoholism

Sucks huh?  Not really…  At least not from my perspective.  A lot of people ask, “Why not just stop drinking alcohol?  A saying I used to hear is, “What happens when you take away the alcohol from a drunken horse thief?  A sober horse thief!”  

Alcohol was more of a solution to the problem than the problem itself.  I wasn’t able to live life on life’s terms.  My attitude and actions separated me from living life like “normal human beings.”  And the way I dealt with my fear put the nail in the coffin.  I drank to not have to deal with what was going on my life.  It’s a lot easier to throw your hands up in the air and say, “forget it” rather than work through the difficulties we face in life. 

Lock me up in cell for a year; I’ll have no alcohol in me.  But when that year is up and the cell is opened,  I’m still the same Avinash.  The same mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.  Those are what need to be changed. 

The program taught me how to live responsibly today.  Not to turn and run from my difficulties and to show up for my life.  These esteem-able actions are what have allowed me to rebuild my life, my relationships, and character.  The life I have today is not worth cashing in.  Hopefully I’ll stay an alcohol free alcoholic. 
Avinash Satz

1 comment:

  1. Hi Avinash, congrats on your recovery. I just read a great book dealing with both the emotional and physical side of addiction. It's by Lisa Espich and called Soaring Above Co-Addiction. It is a memoir-style self-help book sharing the authors honest and poignant story of family addiction and recovery.

    ReplyDelete