Saturday, January 22, 2011

“If You Hang Out in a Barber Shop, You’re Bound to get a Haircut”


-The old-timers say that…  I believe it’s important for alcoholic men and women to recognize that we are not “normal people.”   We are dealing with a disease that is cunning, baffling and powerful.  I have seen men and women get sober in the rooms and try to incorporate the same lifestyle they had when they were out there such as going to parties, clubs, social events and concerts with friends who are not sober.  Many of them end up relapsing.  It’s a dangerous position to put ourselves in, especially when we’re new.   If I’m hanging out with people who drink or use, sooner or later I may end up doing the same.  If I’m going to places or events where the attitude and theme is to get loaded and party, I’m going to eventually relapse.
I entered the rooms because lifestyle I was living was not working anymore.  In turn, my lifestyle needed to be evaluated and changed.  Understanding my disease means acknowledging that my way of life may be different from my fellows.  It’s not my fault of theirs; it’s just the way it is.  If I go to parties, social events concerts…etc I bring sober friends with me.
The majority of the people I interact in my life are sober.  That’s not because I’m in fear of associating myself with “normies,” but I share the same interests and lifestyle of those in recovery.  Naturally, I’ve grown close with those I identify with.
Some have difficulty accepting that their lifestyle may have to change in recovery.  I don’t take chances with my sobriety today.  I can only share my experience and that is that I’m not special and no exception from my fellow alcoholics.  As long as I remember my name is Avi and I’m an alcoholic, hopefully I’ll be ok.
-Avinash Satz
Miracle House- Sober Living in Los Angeles, Clarity House- Sober Living for Women,  New Life House- Sober Living for Young Adults in Los Angeles ,  Reality House- Sober Living for Young Adults in Los Angeles, Alcoholism, Addiction, Substance Abuse, 12-steps, Los Angeles sober living, treatment center, Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment