Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What's the The Trick to Getting Long Term Sobriety

There's everything these days...  Treatment centers, rehabs, inpatient, outpatient, day programs, drug and alcohol counseling, one-on-one therapy, group therapy, sober livings, sober companions, sober coaches...etc  I think you get the point.  These days, sobriety and treatment can even be found televised on your local T.V. channels.  So what works and what doesn't?  Thats a pretty big question and a difficult one for me to answer.

I think they are all good and supportive settings towards reaching longevity sobriety as the goal.  I believe one of the best ways to get long-term sobriety is to keep in mind that the more days we are able to put together sober, the further we become from our last drug/drink.

My reaction to almost everything (good and bad) was to get loaded.  That's how I dealt with things that occurred in my life.  The more time I can put together away from my last drink/drug, the more I'm having to learn new ways to live life on life's terms. Its no longer about running away or avoiding what's uncomfortable or inconvenient for me, but rather, learning how to address them and work them.  As I have now put over 7 years away from my last drug/drink, I have gained new tools to deal with life and new strengths as a result of that.

This is just my beliefe, so to answer that question.  Whatever method(s) of treatment you chose to pick, I hope it allows you to put as many days possible together in a safe and supportive setting...

Avinash Satz

Miracle House- Sober Living in Los Angeles * Clarity House- Sober Living for Women * New Life House- Sober Living for Young Adults  in Los Angeles *  Reality House- Sober Living for Young Adults in Los Angeles

No comments:

Post a Comment