Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Not Stopping

What's the Point if It's Not Everything and More?

I came in these rooms lost, miserable and hopeless.  San Diego, as pretty as the postcards make it out to be, had become a very small world for me.  My lifestyle resulted me on two bus routes, the blue line trolley and the canyons in and around North Park.  My world had gotten very small.  I had pushed life to the side while I was getting loaded.  All the responsibilities, relationships, obligations, commitments and opportunities all began piling up on top of each other.

Making a decision to get sober was easy...  I wanted something different.  "Where do I go from here?" That was the next question as I looked at this mountain of neglected responsibilities.  Thats when I began to see that getting sober was much more than a simple decision to remain abstinent.  I needed to change the way I saw and dealt with life.

The program and fellowship I found in the house and in the rooms helped me work through things and rebuild my life.  What was once too overwhelming, and seemingly impossible to overcome what slowly getting taken care of.  It took dedication, hard work, help and nice dose of humility, but my life got better.  I became excited for the strengths and skill sets the program taught me to deal with life on life's terms.

I believe if we don't continue to reach towards new goals and become the best people we can, then we've sold ourselves short of the new lives the program and sobriety has offered us.  I'm working at a place I love with people I love.  I'm pursuing a beautiful future and free writing just so happens to be a small part of it.  Letting each day pass me by is what got me here.  Taking action each day is what's keeping me here.

Avinash Satz

Miracle House- Sober Living in Los Angeles * Clarity House- Sober Living for Women * New Life House- Sober Living for Young Adults  in Los Angeles *  Reality House- Sober Living for Young Adults in Los Angeles

No comments:

Post a Comment