Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Do My Actions Match My Beliefs?

This is a question that was posed to me several years ago and it has resonated with me since then. It is an absolute challenge to my belief system, my belief of myself, what I think is important, what I think matters, etc… For the alcoholic, who is asked to be honest, open minded and willing, it shakes me to the core. If I can muster up the courage, I get to see where I come up with these ideas, these beliefs. I am challenged to see how delusional, how fragile, my ego really is. It’s where the resistance to change begins with me. My belief system, how I protect my ego, begins with the ideas; I’m the best friend, best son, best boyfriend, best employee, etc… that anyone has ever had. When these beliefs get challenged (my boss asking why I’m late, my parent asking why I did this or that) my illicit reaction is “how dare you question me.”  If my actions don’t match those beliefs, then what do I TRULY believe?? The ego, the false self, would have YOU believe I am the best (fill in the blank) the false self would have ME believe that I am the worst (fill in the blank) and the truth lies somewhere in between.
Working the steps of the program, specifically the fourth step (assuming I have worked the first three steps) I am challenged with asking myself the questions, what do I really believe? By working through the fear, I get past the lies, deceptions and roadblocks I have built up over time. I finally begin to start facing the truth of myself and the truth of my life.  Then I can make a more clear and conscious choice of how I wish to proceed; continue walking around with blinders on, or begin facing up to living as a man among men, a worker among workers, or my favorite, just one of the herd. Moo
Submitted by Dave L.

Miracle House- Sober Living in Los Angeles, Clarity House- Sober Living for Women,  New Life House- Sober Living for Young Adults in Los Angeles ,  Reality House- Sober Living for Young Adults in Los Angeles, Alcoholism, Addiction, Substance Abuse, 12-steps, Los Angeles sober living, treatment center, Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment