Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Gratitude- submitted by Matt

Six months and one week ago from today I was in an ICU another time because of a drug overdose. The way I saw it at the time, my disease was telling me it was easier to end it all and “off myself” rather than to go through the twelve steps and work a program.  For the last fifteen years all my pain and emotions were dealt with through drugs. The only way that I knew how to deal with all the problems, issues and enjoyment in my life was to party and check out. I have been experienced a lot of physical bottoms in the past but always had it in me, after a little break to go on another “run.” This time something was different I look back and realized that this was my first emotional bottom.
In my first few weeks and months, my head was the hardest thing to deal with after the physical detox.  Keep in mind I have not been a person to believe in God prior to this run, but I was so willing to get my life back.  I took suggestions because my way was out to kill me. I did what my sponsor told me from readings to prayers. All I prayed for in my first sixty days and even today was to give me peace of mind. I surrounded myself with real friends, people that hold me accountable for my actions and aren’t afraid to call me out. After time went on, it has gotten better. My focus has changed toward getting a life back and working on the reasons behind all my drug use, instead of just trying not to think about using drugs every minute of every day.
Life today after only six months of sobriety is better than I could have ever imagined. I have started making amends to my family because of all the damage I have caused over the years of not caring and the selfish ways I have manipulated them. I’m not saying all my problems are fixed, they’re far from it. But I have learned how to process the way I react to situation and deal with the people in my life. I have a full time job in Beverly Hills at an upscale Italian restaurant, which is something I never could have imagined. I have goals and dreams that I haven’t thought about since I was in college. All in all I just wanted to share a little gratitude about where I am at today. If you’re someone newly sober or thinking about getting sober, the best thing I can tell you is that life gets better if you’re willing to change and try something new.
Matt

Miracle House- Sober Living in Los Angeles, Clarity House- Sober Living for Women,  New Life House- Sober Living for Young Adults in Los Angeles ,  Reality House- Sober Living for Young Adults in Los Angeles, Alcoholism, Addiction, Substance Abuse, 12-steps, Los Angeles sober living, treatment center, Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment