Monday, February 7, 2011

The Only Step We Have to do Perfectly is Step One

In the seven years of my sobriety, one thing I can say for certain is that I will never out grow this program.  My experience shows that I only get a daily reprieve from alcoholism based on my spiritual condition.  Spirituality was not an easy thing for me.  I’m what the book would call, one of the “educational variety.”  For me, spirituality took time; going through new challenges and experiencing the results of living a new way of life which truly helped me build faith in my Higher Power.
What allowed me to try living a different way was the understanding that I was an alcoholic and the way I was living my life was truly unmanageable.  Without that surrender and desperation, there would have been no way that would be open to the lifestyle I was taught in recovery.  A lifestyle centered on self honesty, spirituality, and service.
The first step is the only step which even mentions alcohol, the remaining eleven are tools and practices to help us build upon a spiritual way of life.  They focus on open-mindedness, honesty, faith and service.  In order for me to be open to spiritual way of life, I had to be willing.  In order for me to be willing, I needed to be desperate.  It was surrendering which enabled me to throw up my hand and say, “I’m done, my way is not working, you guys appear to have a way that is, I’ll give it a shot.”
As important as the first step is, there isn’t much to discuss.  The Twelve Steps and Twelve Tradition’s chapter on the first step is only two pages long.  Short and simple.
The tools and insight I’ve learned through the 12-Steps are tools I continue to use in my daily life.  I’m certain I may always be making amends here and there.  There are plenty of inventories to write on and look at.  That’s ok with me.  As long as I remember what life was like prior to coming into the rooms,  I hope to hold onto the willingness to continue practice these principles and remain sober.
-Avinash Satz

Miracle House- Sober Living in Los Angeles, Clarity House- Sober Living for Women,  New Life House- Sober Living for Young Adults in Los Angeles ,  Reality House- Sober Living for Young Adults in Los Angeles, Alcoholism, Addiction, Substance Abuse, 12-steps, Los Angeles sober living, treatment center, Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment