Friday, February 18, 2011

Learning compassion- Submitted by Patrick S.

The meaning of compassion is to recognize the suffering of others and taking action to help.  This idea of compassion is often brought up in meetings, groups and casual conversations among fellow members in the program.  But it has always been a topic and character trait that I have struggled to comprehend and apply in my daily life.  

Through talking to my peers and working the steps I have only been able to break the surface of the meaning and importance of it's practice.
It has been brought to my attention that the reason I struggle so much with compassion is because I can not or choose not to, connect with people on an emotional level.   Therefore, I do not poses the ability to recognize suffering in the people around me. Learning this about myself brought a sick feeling to my stomach. But knowing that there were people in my life who were willing to bring this to my attention made me feel much better. It was an opportunity for growth as long as I was willing to take it as such. And I have, through the recognition of my own shortcomings and misfortunes in life I have been able to make an effort by relating to others for what they were or may have gone through.  

This small step has opened the door for me, by talking to the people in my comfort zone and building emotional relationships with them, has allowed me the opportunity to gain the discipline in order to show compassion towards the people in my everyday life or even strangers.  I thank God everyday for the life I have and the people in it.

-Patrick S.


Miracle House- Sober Living in Los Angeles, Clarity House- Sober Living for Women,  New Life House- Sober Living for Young Adults in Los Angeles ,  Reality House- Sober Living for Young Adults in Los Angeles, Alcoholism, Addiction, Substance Abuse, 12-steps, Los Angeles sober living, treatment center, Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous


No comments:

Post a Comment